Statement of Commitment of Directors
In establishing policy for and on behalf of the American Truck Historical Society, I am a custodian in trust of the assets of ATHS. The members recognize the need for competent and dedicated elected board members to serve ATHS and have put their trust in my sincerity and abilities. In return, the members deserve my utmost effort, dedication, and support.
Therefore, as a board member of ATHS, I acknowledge and commit that I will observe a high standard of ethics and conduct as I devote my best efforts, skills and resources in the interest of ATHS and its members. I will perform my duties as a board member in such a manner that members’ confidence and trust in the integrity, objectivity and impartiality of ATHS are conserved and enhanced. I understand that this commitment includes a responsibility I have to act at all times in an honest, fair and responsible manner, and to avoid any conflict of interest which may arise during my tenure as a board member.
Ethical Guidelines General
1. I will always hold the betterment of the membership of ATHS as my priority, including during all participation in discussions and voting matters.
2. I recognize that I am obligated to act in a manner which will bear the closest public scrutiny.
3. It is my responsibility to contribute to the board of directors any suggestions of ways to improve the organization’s policies, standards, practices or ethics.
4. I will not abuse my position as a board member by suggesting to any organization employee that I am entitled to or expect any special treatment beyond regular members of the ATHS.
5. I will declare any conflict of interest, be it real, potential, or apparent, which is not immediately obvious with regard to any matter being discussed in my presence during a meeting. If the board decides at any time during a meeting that I have a conflict, I will accept their request that I refrain from participating in the discussion and I will leave the meeting at the board’s request. I understand that the board’s decision will be recorded in the minutes, either with or without the reasons for the decision being also recorded.
6. I understand that the following activities are considered by ATHS to be conflicts of interest, and that conflicts of interest are not limited to the following situations:
• where a board member makes a decision or does an act motivated by other or additional considerations than “the best interests of ATHS”
• where a board member personally contracts with the organization or where he/she is a director of other organizations which are contracting with this organization
• where a board member learns of an opportunity for profit which may be valuable to him/her personally or to another organization of which he/she is a member, or to other persons known to the board member
• where a board member, in any circumstance as related to ATHS, puts his/her personal interests ahead of the best interests of ATHS
7. I will not knowingly take advantage of or benefit from information that is obtained in the course of my official duties and responsibilities as a board member, and that is not generally available to membership
8. I will be alert to information which the ATHS can use to develop improved policies and strategies
9. I will protect the ATHS’ information and assets and will not release or share confidential information without the permission, preferably in writing, of the person who provided it
10. I will maintain confidentiality of all information which the Board of Directors deems ought to be kept confidential
11. I will be mindful of resources which are in my trust on behalf of ATHS, and will help establish policies which ensure the maximization of secure and protected resources for the accomplishment of the stated purposes and goals of ATHS
12. I expect to be reimbursed for legitimate reasonable expenses incurred by myself for the sake of ATHS only as specifically allowed by the policies established by the Board of Directors, and as are proper and allowed by the governing articles of ATHS and applicable law.
13. Should business associates or others offer me gifts, favors, or benefits on a personal basis because of the business ATHS does with them, I will recognize that such offers may be an effort to secure advantage from me, and I will reject such offers on the basis that it is against the ATHS policy to accept gifts from business contacts. The most I will accept will be normal promotional handouts of a nominal value.
Representing the Organization
14. As part of my duties as a board member, I represent ATHS informally and formally to not only the members of ATHS, but to other associations, societies, government officials, and business and industry representatives. I recognize that it is important that I represent the organization in such a way as to leave others with a positive impression of ATHS. In my duties I will preserve and enhance the good reputation of ATHS and will avoid behavior which might damage its image.
15. I will not publicly disparage elected or appointed officials of ATHS or undertake actions which can be detrimental to the reputation of elected or appointed officials without good cause, and will treat such officials in respectful and honest manner at all times. I will diligently utilize the governing procedures of ATHS whenever possible to address concerns and criticisms with respect to the conduct of elected or appointed officials of ATHS, and will at all times respect the fact that as an elected member of the Board of Directors of ATHS, my view or opinion might be interpreted as the view or opinion of ATHS.
I have read the ATHS Code of Ethics for Board Members, and agree that, at all times during my service as a board member to ATHS, I will conduct myself as required by said Code of Ethics.
Signature of Board Member or Nominee