2022 Convention Tours
The Lincoln Experience
- New Salem State Park: Go back nearly two centuries in time as you walk the streets of reconstructed New Salem, the village where Abraham Lincoln lived as a young man. See where he split rails, clerked in a store, and served as postmaster, among other positions that influenced him to eventually become the Great Emancipator. Watch and interact as history comes to life through the costumed characters of the people who lived here more than 150 years ago.
- Maldaner’s soup, salad, sandwich buffet lunch: Established in 1884, Maldaner’s is one of Springfield’s finest and oldest restaurants.
- The Lincoln Home: In 1861, Abraham Lincoln left his home of 17 years – the only home he ever owned – to serve as the 16th President of the United States. The Lincoln Home has been completely restored to its 1860 appearance and reveals much about Lincoln as husband, father, neighbor, and politician.
- The Old State Capitol: Abraham Lincoln tried several hundred cases in the Supreme Court, borrowed books from the state library, and read and swapped stories with other lawyers and politicians in the law library. On May 3 & 4, 1865, Mr. Lincoln’s body lay in state in Representatives Hall as a crowd estimated at 75,000 filed past to pay their last respects.
- The Lincoln Tomb: Within the walls of this stunning granite monument is the final resting place of Abraham Lincoln, his wife, Mary, and three of their four sons.
(As time allows we may fit in the Lincoln Depot or the Law Office if open)
$95/person Price per person includes coach, guide, site entry/donations, lunch buffet, Lincoln re-enactor
Salute to Military!
We’re off to Monticello, home of Thomas Jefferson, our third president and author of the Declaration of Independence. Jefferson’s astounding home and gardens are perched on a hillside just outside of Charlottesville. This World
Heritage Site, historic home and plantation are viewed by visitors worldwide. Following a delicious lunch at historic Michie Tavern, we’ll stop at Chiles Orchard and visit King Family Vineyards. Enjoy this great day!
Tour includes admission to Monticello, lunch at Michie Tavern, and visits to Chiles Orchard and King Family Vineyards.
We’re off to Luray to visit Luray Caverns, the largest caverns in the eastern United States. It’s been said that walking through feels more akin to an unearthly experience. Visit the Geology’s Hall of Fame and enjoy a guided tour following lighted, paved walkways through cathedral-sized rooms with ceilings 10-stories high, towering stone formations, and natural wonders at every turn. Also enjoy the Car & Carriage Caravan Museum, Shenandoah Heritage Village, and the Toy Junction. Following a delicious included lunch at the Mimslyn Inn, we will visit Cooter’s Place featuring the Dukes of Hazzard Museum and replica Cooter’s Garage with General Lee. A fun day for all.
Tour includes admission and guided tour of Luray Caverns, admission to Car & Carriage Caravan Museum, Shenandoah Heritage Village and Toy Junction. Lunch at the Mimslyn Inn and a visit to Cooter’s Place.