Corbitt Preservation Association
180 Church St
Henderson, NC 27536
About Corbitt Preservation Association
The Corbitt Preservation Association was formed on November 16, 2003 by individuals who had a vision of history and love for these great vehicles built here in Henderson, NC from 1899 thru 1954. Our first “Corbitt Truck Show and Reunion” was held in 2002. Since then we have had our annual show on the third Saturday of October each year. The last Corbitt was built from spare parts in 1958 and sold to Norris Collins of Franklin Oil Company in Franklinton, NC.
There were nine individuals present for the first meeting. They became charter members of the organization. Membership has increased to over 100 members and still growing. Members are from the following states: North Carolina, Virginia, New York, Ohio, Georgia, Missouri, Florida, Pennsylvania and Kentucky.
There were four major goals set at this initial meeting. First, and most important, was the preservation of the Corbitt name. Second, was the preservation of Corbitt products, third the preservation of the Corbitt property and fourtly the establishment of a Corbitt Museum.
Our goals are being met through projects including the restoration of the 1930’s advertising monument that stood on old US 1 at the Tar River bridge. We moved and restored this monument in 2005 and it now sits at the former factory site on Parham Street in Henderson.
A Highway Historical Marker was erected and dedicated in 2006 by the Corbitt Preservation Association with the assistance of the State of North Carolina. This marker sits at the intersection of Dabney Drive and US 158 By-pass.
Mr. R.J. Corbitt was inducted into the North Carolina Transportation Hall of Fame in 2007. The Hall of Fame award is on permanent display at the North Carolina Transportation Museum in Spencer, NC. A display of Mr. Corbitt and his accomplishments are also at the museum.
A 100th Anniversary event was held in 2010. The two day event culminated with a show of the vehicles on Saturday May 1, 2010. This event was open to the public.And at last in 2015 the establishment of the Corbitt Preservation Association Museum at 180 Court Street in Henderson, NC.
In the month of December 2014 we received a call from Tommy Roberson about the possibility for the location of a Corbitt museum. The Board of Directors met with Tommy in January 2015 and went to the location. The resident of the former Bennett L. Perry was given to the City of Henderson to establish a museum in. The Corbitt Preservation Association being a 501c3 non-profit organization qualified us for the location. The Perry home needed total renovation but had a $25,000 budget set aside by the City of Henderson to put forth to the location for restoration. A budget was formed to utilize the funds available and bids went out for work. Work was started in April 2015 and completed in October 2015, one day before the annual Corbitt Truck Show and Reunion. We met the October deadline and the museum was a huge success. We do not have regular hours and are open by appointment only.
Review this entry